Thursday, March 24, 2011

She is Rich

Christy Tomlinson's She Art Workshop is officially over, and I'm so bummed.  But, I have learned so much - so many techniques and clever ideas.  LOVED participating in this class - it was F.U.N.!  She is going to reopen the class in April.  If you are interested in getting your hands dirty and making some cute stuff, I strongly recommend it.  Also Christy is so cute and funny and a real pleasure to watch her videos.  (No, this isn't an ad, it was just my first online class and I really enjoyed it.  It's opened a whole new world of experiences and learning opportunities for me. Gotta LOVE that!)

This is the second girl I made based on the class materials.  The first one I made, you can check out here.  Actually, I made the first one before the class started, so technically this one is really my first with the benefit of the information I learned in the workshop.
I made her for my mama.  No special occasion, the saying was just swimming around in my head.  So, I took it out and put it down on this canvas.
This is mama.  She has the big, red, Farrah-Fawcett hairdo that I remember from my childhood.  Do not adjust your monitor, her hair really was that big, and I think the color on this is almost perfect.  That was her natural color - it was gorgeous and so striking. 

She also has a tendency towards bling - hence the rhinestone necklace and buttons on the coat.

The only artistic license I took is with the location.  You will rarely (never) find her standing in a field.  It's hot and there are bugs, and it just wouldn't happen.  :-)

I love the way the sun turned out.  It was a big pink flower that I cut out of a magazine or gardening catalog (can't remember which).  I just glued it on and then added paint and marker and rub-ons and stamped "faith" on it.  Just love it - almost like the color of some setting suns we've been seeing around here recently.
It says "She is rich beyond measure."  It was important to me that it be in the present tense, but also this has a lot of meaning.  We were pretty darn poor when I was a kid, and she has always talked about getting "rich".  As a single mom, she worked so hard all the time, and I'm sure that she wanted to get rich just so she could take a break!  Who can't relate to that?!  This is just a reminder (not that she needs it) that in so many ways she is already incredibly rich.

I'm so happy that I have been able to find so many ways to get crafty lately.  I have missed painting and collaging for the past several (probably 15!) years.  I gave it to her on Saturday - at first she thought that Chicken Little (the art student) had made it. HA - LOL!  She seemed to like it, so I took that as a compliment. :-)

I've got another 3 or 4 more of these girls floating around in my head.  I hope I get a chance to make one or two more this weekend.  FUN!!

Linking up here, hereherehere, here and here.