Saturday, January 28, 2012

Will The Real Wisconsin Please Stand Up?

Somebody lied to me!  Bait and switch, I say!

The weather had been so lovely (relatively speaking), and then when I went to work the other day - in no-snow - something dreadful happened while I wasn't looking!

When I went to the office, it was a bit cloudy and chilly, but not bad.  I had a meeting in another building at 11:00 AM and we were starting to have a few snow flurries.  When my meeting ended, it looked like this:

Pretty! 

Whatever....

This was taken at 4:00 pm!  It took me a good 10 - 15 minutes to scrape that stuff off my car (AND I WAS IN MY ONE PAIR OF BLACK FLATS!).  Not only did I not have the proper foot gear on this day, but I was also without gloves, hat or scarf.  SERIOUSLY unprepared!

For those of you new to this kind of weather, it's not a good idea to walk through the snow wearing pants with cuffed hems.  I am speaking from experience:  those cuffs filled up with snow, and I carried it around with me everywhere I went.

Anyway, I still had to go back to my office and grab my computer and bag before I could go home.  I got on the road about 5:05, and it took me almost 45 minutes to drive 3.5 miles.  That's crazy! 

Turns out the average snowfall here for January is 11 inches. We got 9.5 of those inches within a 4 - 5 day period. 

Needless to say - I've worn the boots - and I no longer wear cuffed pants.

To add insult to injury, on the days that it is not snowing, the temperature is incompatible with life.


I took this picture with my phone as I was pulling into the office the other morning.  I thought the song was rather ironic.  That's right, it says it's 1 degree outside.

That evening, when I got back into the car to go home, this is what it said...


Awesome.

It was a heat wave - warmed up one whole degree.  Wooo hooo!

Ok - this isn't fun any more - I'm ready for it to go back to the way it was when I first arrived.