Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Homework

I haven't been taking many pictures or doing much lately other than work-working and then home-working on my Soul Restoration 1 projects.  So, I don't have much to write about these days.

In SR1, we're creating a book and we are doing a 2-page spread each week.  The first week, we did the cover, the title page, and our soul house.  Last week, we were supposed to create a spread about our truth teller, but I haven't gotten around to finishing that one yet. Anyway, I thought I'd share what I've done so far.

I started out with a cute 8" x 8" board book.  I found them at Barnes and Noble for about $6, and they have little flaps inside that I thought would be kind of fun.


Before the class started, I put masking tape around all the edges and gesso'd all the pages so that they would hold paint better.


This is the front cover.  I didn't know that I was gravitating towards deep saturated colors, until I looked at these pictures, but wait - you will see...


I bought a box of scrap jewelry bits on ebay last year for a project that I never started.  I LOVE this little piece of whatever (a belt buckle maybe?), and I'm happy to finally be using some of these bits.


This is the title page spread.  The blue side is just paint, and the green side I covered with paper.  I smeared markers along the edges and ridges to do the shading, and try to give it some depth.


Lots of layers...  paint, stamps, rub-ons, gems, glitter, and I cut the fish out of a 2010 calendar.  They fish don't have anything to do with any of the work we're doing, but I LOVED them and wanted to use them.  So, here they are.


And with the flap open...  LOVE the flaps!


I like to add the dimensional bits.  I have a really hard time leaving a page flat.  I have tried, but then I always end up going back and adding something that comes off the page a bit.   Not sure why, but I'm not fighting it...


And here's this page with the flaps open.

These pages took me forever!  Everyone else knocked these out in a few hours.  I didn't realize it, but I obviously just work REALLY slow. 

The next spread is my soul house.  That one took me DAYS to finish!  When you see it, I think it looks relatively simple, but it was "a process."  I'll give you a peek at that tomorrow.

Have a good day.  I gotta go work-work now.  Argh!  This real work thing is so inconvenient...  ;-)