Monday, April 18, 2011

Art Journal - Backgrounds

If you've been reading along for the past few months, you probably know of my struggle with Art Journaling.   AJ and I are in a battle of wills.  I have been determined to fill her up, and her blank pages hae  just stared at me belligerently, almost shouting, "Bring it!" 

I am proud to say that I have indeed, Brung It!  Or, at least I'm feeling pretty good about the start that I have finally made!


My plan is to use this Journal for the Soul Resoration 1 journalling prompts.  Here's the first background I created - it was HIDEOUS, but I just kept adding more and more stuff until I kinda liked it.  My plan was for this to be the 'title' page (and that's how it ended up - I'll post a few 'finished' pages later this week). 


Page 2:  Again, I hated it, but kept adding more junk until I decided I  could tolerate it.  I also went ahead and added one of the journalling prompts so I would know what to write about.

I've never been a big journaler.  One of the reasons is because when I start writing, I just don't know how to be brief (duh, I'm sure you never would have guess that buy reading this blog - lol!).  So, with AJ, I've been afraid that I would have to decorate 3 - 5 pages the same just to cover ONE prompt.   Over the last week, I've found that limiting myself to one page is kind of nice.  It forces me to focus on the important things, distill my thoughts and keep it brief. 

After these two pages took FOREVER, I decided to practice one of the things I've been trying to learn lately:  less is more and keep it simple, so I got busy with the mists and watercolors and here are a few more I came up with...


I don't know why, but I love this page.  A couple of spray inks, and some acrylic inks for the sun and clouds - nothing special, and so basic, but I love the colors and the simplicity of it.  LOVE!



Plastic doilies, mists, watercolor, a stamp, a flower border punch, and a rub-on.  I was just playing around with EVERYTHING on these pages.



More mists and stencils/masks.  I like the color combinations here, but I'm not really sure how I'm going to journal yet. 


Again, I don't know why, but I really like this page, too.  Collaged on a sewing pattern and that coffee filter flowery kinda thing - a bit of paint, and a stamp. 


This dragonfly is actually a Christmas ornament that I put down on the page and misted over.  Like it!




Since I knew I was going to be out of town (away from my art supplies - ack!) last week, I decided that I would throw down a few backgrounds in AJ, and then take her and some markers along on my trip...  Since she would be my only creative outlet, then I'd have to start journaling, right??

So, that's what I did, and during my VERY long, VERY boring meetings, I pretended like I was taking notes, but really I was writing my journal prompt responses.  I still have to transfer a few of them from my notepad to the journal, but I did a couple last week, and I'm pretty happy with them. 

I realize they're no masterpiece, but I'm so happy that I've FINALLY broken through this brain block.  I'm learning...sometimes it's not about being perfect and fancy, it's just about showing up and doing it.  What a hard lesson that is for me!

Linking up here.