Friday, February 18, 2011

Brave Girl Apron!

One of the many treats we were given at BGC was an apron.  Most of my new sistahs embellished their aprons while we were at camp, but I was busy working on tons of other stuff. Here are a few examples of the aprons...

Aren't they wonderful?!

I'm so excited - I finally got my apron finished last night!  They all started out like this - plain white aprons with the BGC logo.
 I didn't take a before picture, but here's the back so you get the idea.

I added five rows of ruffles to the bottom of the apron.  I started with the bottom ruffle, and then worked up. As you can see, there wasn't a lot of precision to this process.  It took me about 7 minutes per ruffle. 

The fabric I used for the ruffles was five different coordinating prints on a fairly heavy cotton canvas.  I got them all on sale at Joann's in the home decor section.  I only got 1/4 yard of each, so it probably cost me about $10 total, and I have a little bit left of everything.

I added a piece of plain canvas above the ruffles and sewed a seam down the middle so I'd have two pockets.  Then I added some pom pom trim between the top ruffle and the bottom of the pocket to finish it off a bit.  At that point, I thought I was done, but it was really busy on the bottom, and really plain on top - it looked weird.

I sewed a tube of scrap fabric left over from the ruffles, and then cut neck strap.  I threaded it through the tube and then reattached it.  I put another ruffle and more trim along the neckline.

It was fine at this point, but more is more, right?!

So, I whipped up this double layered flower with a bit more of the scrap fabric and a button and attached it to one of the pockets, and waaaa-laaaa!
(I should take the pinking shears to the flower, but I probably won't.)

I LOVE IT!!!

I didn't measure or hem anything, and it's perfect.  I l.o.v.e. the colors and the "homemade-ness" of it.  SOOOO much cuter than the plain white, and now I have a fancy BG apron, too.  YEA!!

I'm ready to go craft some more, but I don't want to wear this apron to do it.  I don't want to ruin it by getting paint on it.  :-)

I'm sorting my pictures from camp and working on my post.  It should be ready soon - stay tuned.

Linking up here.