Sunday, January 9, 2011

Terrifying!

I do not like snakes in the rain.
I do not like snakes on a plane.
I do not like snakes here or there.
I DO NOT LIKE SNAKES ANYWHERE!

Did you know that they are having big floods in Australia?  Neither did I until I ran across this random article on the web the other day. 

In case you didn't know already, when the waters rise, it forces the hole dwellers (a.k.a. snakes) to seek higher, drier ground.   It also tends to agitate them - as it would anyone being forced out of their home.  Ever since this awful scene in the Lonesome Dove miniseries, this has been the subject of a few nightmares for me:

(Skip past the first minute, and then you only need to watch another minute or so to be scarred for life.)



Apparently, in this flooded area of Australia, the snakes AND the crocs are converging on the airport.
"Staff at the Rockhampton airport have compared the watery runway there to a wildlife park. Safety officer Kevin Lucas told the Australian on Thursday that he has killed around 40 snakes at the airport, one of which he likened to the Loch Ness Monster. "They're everywhere," he said."
I guess they're trying to evacuate with everyone else.

Australia Floods

Can you even imagine?!  I would have to move ...PERMANENTLY!

Sweet dreams...