Thursday, November 25, 2010

Traditional Thanksgiving Dessert

Pumpkin, shmumpkin.  Who needs pumpkin pie when you can have banana pudding?  We're having this for dessert at my house on Thanksgiving (we'll be having pie, too, but this will be the star). 

And I make a mean banana pudding, even if I do say so myself!


I decided to share the recipe after I'd already made it, so I'll I've got is the "after" picture. 

As with most of my recipes, I wing it, but I've tried to give you some exact measurements below.  It's hard to mess this one up, and it's so quick and easy. Give it a try the next time you have have to bring dessert.  Make it the night before your event so that all the flavors have time to mingle and set up.

Banana Pudding (this amount will make 3 layers in my Pyrex bowl)
2 boxes instant vanilla pudding (it's actually better with the pudding you cook but who has time for that)
6 cups milk (any % will work, as long as it's not skim)
2 tubs of Cool Whip (8 oz)
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 boxes Nilla Wafers
6 - 8 ripe bananas

Cover the bottom of a large bowl with Nilla Wafers and sliced banana (usually 1.5 - 2 bananas and 1/2 of the box of wafers).

Mix 1 box of pudding with 3 cups of milk (according to directions on the box), add in 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and 1/2 tub of Cool Whip. Blend until both are fully integrated. 

Pour pudding over the first layer in the bowl until the bananas are completely covered.  You will probably not use all of the pudding to cover the first cookie/banana layer.  Add another layer of Nilla Wafers and sliced banana.  Pour remaining pudding over the 2nd cookie/banana layer.

Mix 2nd box of pudding the same way as the first.  Finish covering the 2nd layer of cookies and bananas.  Add one more layer Nilla Wafers and sliced banana. Cover this last layer with what remains of the 2nd batch of pudding.  Make sure the bananas are completely covered by the pudding so they don't turn brown.  

Finally, top it with Cool Whip and any crumbs that are left in the bottom of the cookie box.  Cover it and chill it in the fridge for several hours (preferably overnight) before serving. 

Yummy!!!  I get tons of compliments on this every time I make it, and it takes me about 10 minutes to throw it together.  After you make it one time, it's all anyone will ever ask you to bring.  If you're brave and make it with the pudding you cook, keep stirring that stuff while it cooks so the bottom doesn't burn.  Then, layer it while the pudding is still warm. I LOVE it warm, but again, it's more banana-y after it chills for a few hours. 

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!