Monday, January 24, 2011

Laundry Room Redux

Over the weekend, I spent quite a bit of time in the laundry room..  It was BADLY in need of some organization. 

Ahem....slightly embarrassed - but only slightly because it has a door that can be closed. 
So, here's the problem:  it's full of flat surfaces!  If there's a flat surface, doesn't it just call out to hold some junk, especially if it's a flat surface in a room that has a door that closes?!  Yes, duh!

I had already organized the two drawers, and as I did that, I realized that maybe it had gotten a wee bit out of control.  The cabinets didn't seem too bad, but I couldn't really add anything else in there, and they didn't make any sense.


Yes, I do use real chemicals to clean the house.  Maybe after I go through my stash, I'll consider switch to Mrs. Meyers or some other fancy cleaner, but for now, this is what I'm using.  Don't hate...

First step:  clean off the counters and shelves and empty the cabinets.  It had to get worse before it got better.  I didn't take a picture of this in-between stage, but trust me - it was bad.

Second step:  throw out 50% of what was in this room.  I didn't need most of it and don't know why I was keeping it.

Third step:  group like items together, find a place for them, and put them away.

Fourth step:  label maker - 'nuff said.


Fifth step:  sweep the floor, and take tons of pictures.

Last step:  do a little happy dance and take a bow.

And another really good thing - I didn't spend a single penny!!! 

Ta Da!!
Obviously, this is where I hang the clothes as they come out of the dryer.  I took everything off the top shelf except for the ironing stuff and a few empty baskets.  I corralled all of the ironing paraphernalia into one basket.

 We have a wireless printer, and we decided to put it in the laundry room so that everyone could access it easily, and it would still be out of the way.  LOVING it here!

In the cabinet underneath the printer, is the extra printer paper (makes sense, huh?).  Also the TP supply and all of my cake stands - they take up a lot of room.

 And in the other bottom cabinet, the cleaning supplies are still there, but much more organized.  I've also stored a few other things that we rarely use in this cabinet.

 
 This is the upper cabinet.  I put all of my votive holders into the silver box on top along with my individual size salt and pepper shakers.  I consolidated all of the light bulbs into the striped basket.  Vacuum attachments, bags and swiffer stuff are all in the same place on the bottom shelf. 

Don't ask why we have so many ice buckets - we do, and we use them all quite often, so they're easy to access in here.  And finally, I have a stash of birthday cards that I put in another silver photo box.  These used to be upstairs, and I would forget that I had them.  Now they're quick and convenient.
 
I also gathered a few gift bags, some tissue paper, and a couple of treat boxes and put them on the high shelf over the washer and dryer.  This will be much easier to put together a quick gift.  On the same shelf, I went through the house and gathered all of my vases and this is their new home.  I can see exactly what I have now, and they are out of the way where I don't have to worry about them getting knocked over.

Last, I put only laundry supplies on the shelf above the washer and dryer.  Everything is within reach, and there's not a bunch of other stuff in my way. 

The box of socks is where I keep socks that don't have a mate.  Every few months, I'll go through and if I haven't found the match, I pitch them. 

I wish I could find another place to store the vacuum cleaners (one works better on the carpets and the other works better on the floors). CRAZY, I know.  I hope that when I clean out the coat closet there will be room in there - fingers crossed. 
Ahhhhh.....  So happy!  LOVE IT!!!   I feel like I need to close the door, and. lock. it. so that a certain mister won't junk it up when he's moving things "out of the way".

Linking up over here, come check it out:




Domestically Speaking