Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Refrigerator Chalkboard

This weekend I made this...



I loved this idea! I got the idea from Melissa at The Inspired Room blog.  During October, I was an avid follower of her 31 Days of Autumn Bliss, where she showed off her Refrigerator Chalkboard here

Here's how to do it:
  1. Get an old frame, or find one at Goodwill.  I found mine (measuring 9" x 12") at Goodwill for $2.99.  If necessary,  you can paint the frame to match your kitchen.  I lucked up on this one and didn't really feel like I needed to paint it.
  2. For the chalkboard part, you can attack this one of two ways:  cut a thin board to fit your frame and paint it with chalkboard paint, OR buy adhesive chalkboard sheets here, and cut it to fit your frame.  I'm ALL about instant gratification, so I bought the sheets.  You don't have to wait for them to cure like you do the chalkboard paint.
  3. Take the glass out of the frame, put the chalkboard in, and mount it on the fridge.
  4. My frame had a picture hanger on the back - you can remove this, but I already had a 3M removable hook that I put on the fridge and the hanger slid over that perfectly.  Melissa used the removable Command Strips to hang hers. 
The other great idea from Melissa's post is using chalk pens instead of chalk.  They are so much easier to handle and much cuter colors than regular chalk.  I found them at Michael's for $11.99 and with my 40% off coupon, they were only $7.20.


This project was extremely satisfying and took me all of 10 minutes to put it together.  Of course, if you paint the frame and use chalkboard paint it will take a little longer.

I'm thinking these may make great Christmas gifts!

I'm linking up here:

linkparty