Friday, September 10, 2010

Mom Guilt

I was listening to Dr. Laura Berman on Oprah radio the other day and she said something interesting about Mom Guilt.

You know how when they are young, the kids cry when we leave them. What do we typically say,”I know, I'm sorry, I don't want to go either." Or, "I wish you could go with me."

Instead of doing this, imagine what would happen if we said, "I know you're upset, and I'm going to miss you too, but I'm so excited about what I get to go do!" Tell them about the really cool thing you are going to do and get them excited for you. When you get back to them, tell them all about it and they will be eager to hear about what you were doing. Just like we want them to have fun and be excited about what they are doing, I think even when they are little they want the same thing for us. What do you think?

(I found the picture at toughcookiemommy.com.)