Saturday, September 4, 2010

Later That Day

So I left you yesterday as we started our journey. Just a few hours and one state line later, found us here:

Yes, please! Sign me up - I'll take both exits for a little Hope!

It was a really long day/night!

Chicken Little made it through two states, Memphis and almost to our hotel before she crashed. I have to give it to her though - she was really trying to stay awake - normally she would have been asleep before we hit the Texas border.

So, I was really looking forward to reaching our hotel and getting a good night's rest. I'd booked it online and wasn't expecting The Four Seasons, but all of the reviews were good so I thought it would be ok. It was 2:00 AM, and we were a few minutes north of Nashville when we pulled into the parking lot. As I checked in through the outside window (the lobby was locked - never a good sign), I realized that those reviews must have been written by employees, cousins and best friends. It was a little shady and totally icky...



Our room was on the poorly lit back side of the hotel...scary! Not to mention I had a van crammed full of stuff - can you say "TARGET"?! I parked right outside the room hoping that I would hear something if someone tried to break into it. (But really, what would I have done if I did hear something???)

Look at the room - filthy - I even pulled the sheets back to check the mattresses for bed bugs. I didn't see any, and I was exhausted so I decided to make the best of it.

Chicken obviously was not bothered by the state of our accommodations - she slept fine. I took it as a good sign that the college student's expectations were relatively low. She didn't see any problem with the room and thought I was over-reacting.
So much for a good rest, I was awake before 6:00 AM - no alarm necessary. I took a shower to try to rinse some of the road grime off, but I can safely say that my feet never touched the floor. I kept my sandals on - even in the shower.

We were back on the highway before 7:00 - Destination BALTIMORE! Woo hoo!