Monday, July 12, 2010

Souvenirs












Shells, shells, shells...shells, shells, shells. I love 'em. I don't know what to do with them, but I have jars and jars of them around the house because I just can't help myself. Whenever I'm at a beach, I am on a mission. It's like a treasure hunt!

If I were alive when shells were currency, I would have been the richest old broad in the tribe - fo' sho'!

The top two pictures are some of the ones I found at the beach near Venice, FL which is famous for finding shark teeth. Didn't find any of those, but I admit I wasn't looking for 'em. Actually, there wasn't much on the beach, but about 3 feet into the water the ground got really crunchy, so I was finding these with my toes. WEIRDO!

But wow - what fun and some gorgeous stuff. And look - I found some small pieces of coral, too. How cool is that?! Most of the time I was about waist deep in the ocean. I'd find something and put it in my pocket (I had on shorts over my swimsuit). By the time I was ready to leave, I could barely haul myself out the water my pockets were so heavy and stuffed with my riches!

The next three are a sampling of the ones I found on Sanibel Island. OMG is all I can say about that place. WOW! I could have spent days out there hunting. I was definitely practicing the famous local move known as the Sanibel Stoop. Step and bend, step and bend, step and bend...

There were a lot more seekers on Sanibel. I was concerned that I may have to take out a few old ladies if we were going for the same jewels. I know - it's a sickness. I admit it - I am a shell-hoarder.

Interestingly, there was NO beach glass to be found. I think I have it even worse for that stuff than for shells. But no complaints here - I'm thrilled with all my pretties.




Ouch! This is the other souvenir I brought home. The result of being so wrapped up in my shelling that I forgot about the consequences of staring at the ground with the sun on your back all day. Luckily, I tan easily so most of it is already brown. Oh well, a small price to pay for the trophies I found!!

I wish shell crafts weren't so cheesy looking and really only appropriate for beach house decor. One day, I'm going to come up with something really cute and fun to do with all these, until then I'm just going to be happy knowing that I have them. :-)))