Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Got the "I-wants"

I have a bad case of the "I-wants". That's what my mom used to call them. She'd take my brother and me to the store, and we would suddenly become afflicted with the "I-wants" and ask for everything in the store, it didn't matter what, just something, want it, need it, can't live without it, please, please, please....

These situations never ended well - I can remember many times when one or both of us left in tears - because we didn't get what we wanted. Instead we'd be told "stop that crying or I'll really give you something to cry about." lol

Anyway, right now, I just want to be able to buy unnecessary things and not feel guilty or worry about how much they cost. I want to win the lottery. I want a beach house. I want Chicken Little to have a full scholarship, including room, meals & books (she got a good one, but still a lot left cover). I want it to be about 75 degrees with a nice breeze and no humidity. I want a fruity drink with an umbrella in it. I want to have a job I love. I want to go to the book store and buy 10 books on decorating my house, get inspiration, and then go out and re-do everything! I want to have a clean office/craft room with a really cool organization system, and all the time in the world to spend "working" in it! I want, I want, I want...

So, instead of doing something I will regret, I'm settling for a little online window shopping....


CUTE Coach bag - love, love, love this tote. Would like to have this for my laptop and work stuff - my briefcase(s) are getting pretty raggedy. (but still entirely functional)


Martha's craft room - how could you not want this?! Also, I'm sure it's filled with at least one of all of her wonderful products! FAB-U-LOUS!


My camera is just a little Kodak digital share-something or other. It works and it's fine, but I think that if I had a super, nifty SLR digital camera like this with a big lens and a very serious carrying case that I would instantly become an extremely skilled and talented photographer, and my blog would be 100x better and I'd get 1000's of followers. (nice to dream)



Ditto on the MacBook - want, want, want, want, want, want!!! Don't know why, I guess I've just been suckered by the advertising, but I want one. I believe that it would instantly make me smarter, younger, thinner, cleverer, more creative and really, really cool. I'm sure it would also make the blog amazing! Imagine if I had the mac and the camera - I would be unstoppable! Waaa haa haa! .... dangerous!

Oh well, I don't think it's bad to want things. If you didn't want, then there wouldn't be any motivation to do better. But I do know I don't need any of this. To paraphrase a quote from Abe Lincoln (I think): "happiness comes from liking whatever your doing, more than doing whatever you like." I try to keep that in mind and be grateful for everything that I have and all that I get to do.

The last three years have been a bit of a struggle, and in addition to learning the difference between a want and a need, I have learned several other very important lessons:
1. I have a very clear picture of what’s important, what isn't, and what is just stuff.
2. I am more than my stuff.
3. Debt is bad.
4. I get more pleasure from the things I create, than anything I could buy.
5. The pleasure comes from the process and the journey, rather than the final product.
6. I really don't want more stuff, less is better and easier, and I want to downsize, minimize and simplify.
7. The more you have, the more you have to keep up with, and the more stressful it becomes trying to hang on to it.

Speaking of liking what I'm doing, I have to tell you that I really like blogging! I know that nobody reads it, but I don't care. There's some sort of satisfaction I get from doing this everyday (or at least a couple of times a week)! My whole mindset has changed - I'm constantly looking for good things, pretty things, fun things, things that are "blog-able." The process gives me a new perspective and brings me joy.

Still…I really would like that mac... :-)

"Want is a growing giant whom the coat of Have was never large enough to cover." ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

"And he said unto them, Take heed, and keep yourselves from all covetousness: for a man's life consisteth not in the abundance of the things which he possesseth." Luke 12:15 (ASV)