Sunday, July 25, 2010

Banana Bread

Sometimes when we buy bananas, they disappear within 2- 3 or days, and other times, they just sit on the counter getting more and more ripe every day. The second scenario is my most recent experience.

This morning, I was faced with FIVE over ripe bananas sitting on the counter. What a waste. I typically have only one thought when I find myself in this situation… BANANA BREAD!

My recipe calls for three bananas, so I just doubled it. I know, I know, baking is a science and you should follow the measurements exactly, but not really. In this particular case, there’s some wiggle room. I kept the eggs exact, but then just added a little less or more of the other ingredients until it the batter looked right.


The best thing about this recipe is that you just throw it all in the bowl together and turn the mixer on. No sifting or adding dry ingredients separately. Once it’s mixed, just pour it in the pan(s) and pop it in the oven. Easy, peasey.

Here’s the recipe (not doubled):

1 1/3 c. sugar
3 ripe bananas, mashed
½ c. shortening or oil
2 eggs
½ t. salt
1 t. vanilla
1 t. baking soda
2 c. flour
½ to 1 c. pecans, chopped (optional)

Mix everything together. Pour into one loaf pan plus 6 muffin cups. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes (for loaf pan – muffins take a bit less time), or until a toothpick comes out clean.





My batch today made three loaves, and they came out perfect. Enough to eat and enough to share! The recipe seems to have a lot of sugar in it, but I think that’s what makes the top of the loaves kind of crunchy, and that is the yummiest part! It is especially delicious when it’s warm with a little butter on it.






The recipe is from one of the very best kinds of cookbooks. It’s from Burnt Offerings, published by Mission Ridge Cumberland Presbyterian Church in Arlington, Texas in June, 1980. I have never even seen this church, and don’t know where I got the book, but I love these compilation cookbooks because everyone always submits their very best recipes to try to impress all their friends who buy the book. Since this book was made prior to the gourmet foodie-snob trendy world we live in today, people kept it simple, and submitted recipes that are easy, quick and tasty. What could be better!?

We have Barbara Harrell and Mary Ann Lenox to thank for this recipe. I don’t know either of these ladies, but I am so glad they shared this with us.

If you decide to try it, I’m sure you’ll enjoy the process and enjoy the results even more!