Tuesday, February 8, 2011

A Little More Organizing...

Here's the deal,  I don't use the kitchen much - except to work at the kitchen table, to make a bowl of cereal, or to bake the occasional cookie.  Other than that, this room just came with the rest of the house - it is my husband's domain.  THANK GOODNESS!

I can cook, but I don't really enjoy it.  It was blessing from God when I met Joe and he just happened to be chef (of the trained, professional variety).  Excuse me while I do a little happy dance...  Don't hate.  

So, when the organization bug bit me a few weeks ago, the kitchen was not first on my list, but it was badly in need of some attention.  I think most people did this in January, but as usual, I'm a little behind schedule.  I started thinking about it, and probably "leaning" into doing something like this in January, but I just finished it up this weekend.

The cabinets were pretty well organized, but the drawers were a mess.  Obviously, I noticed this during my annual baking spree at Christmas. 


Yes, it's a little embarrassing, but these things close and out of sight, out of mind.  But they were getting so stuffed with junk that I was having a hard time closing them.  So, off I went to Target and picked up a couple of packs of these drawer organizers ($9.99 each I think).

Let the organizing begin!  One drawer dedicated mainly to baking tools.



Another drawer with baking stuff and a few other random things for parties.  Don't ask me why I have those cake decorating tips - I have never used them, and probably won't ever use them.  But I'm just not ready to give up on that dream. 


I dedicated another drawer to ziplocs, foil, saran wrap, etc.  I took them out of the boxes so it the drawer would close.  This is a drawer in the island directly across from the stove, so these are very convenient.


This one could go downhill fast, but the stuff in it is just too big for the organizer things.  Hopefully, we won't start to use it as a catch-all.

And finally, I dedicated a drawer under the coffee maker to the coffee supplies (clever, huh?).  The two next to that are for drink and serving utensils, and then finally the knife drawer which is right next to the stove for easy access. 


I did pitch a bunch of stuff in a box to go to the Goodwill.  We had a lot of duplicates and triplicates (probably because we couldn't find the original ones in all that mess). 

It's just such a lovely feeling to be able to see everything and not have to dig, dig, dig through sharp implements when you are looking for something.  :-)