Thursday, July 8, 2010

Portable Nest


Mid-morning last Friday, we set off for Florida on vacation. Joe ruptured his eardrum recently, so our wings were clipped - no flying for us. Let me just say that there is a HUGE difference between a 4 - 6 hour road trip and a 17 (18, 19...21!) hour road trip.

Whenever I settle in for a long drive with the GPS, my goal, as petty as it may seem, is to beat the estimated arrival time. Our estimated arrival for this trip was 5:00 AM on Saturday (assuming we drove straight through - ugh!). When did we arrive, you say??

8:30 AM on Saturday - and yes - we drove straight through! How did this happen?! Three wrecks, the never ending thunder and rain, and the entire country getting a head start on the holiday by leaving early Friday!

It was brutal! We didn't stop because the middle of the night was the only time the roads weren't clogged with traffic. So, we drove in shifts, arrived 3 1/2 hours late on Saturday morning, and I immediately started my favorite vacation activity....NAPPING!!!

So... the photo above is of my perch during this adventure. Of course, there is the extra blanket because we never agree on the temperature. Ipod (check), book (check), Diet Pepsi (check).... and all is right with the world.




And, then there's all the junk filling the back of the truck. I don't know why I am compelled to tote all of my stuff with me at all times (just in case I might need/want it). What you can't see is the cooler that is sitting right behind my seat keeping me upright for 21 hours.

We made it, we're in one piece and we maintained the peace, so all was and is well. The rain stayed with us until Wednesday. Perfect weather for NAPPING! :-) The last few days have been amazing with the sun and surf, and more to come tomorrow.

More about what we've been doing and seeing later - but check out my new banner - that is a product of our trip to Sanibel Island yesterday. What fun!!!